Malaysia is working towards a national average crude palm oil fresh fruit bunch (FFB) output of 35 tonnes per hectare by 2020 from the current production of 20.2 tonnes per hectare.
Minister of Plantation Industries and Commodities Tan Sri Bernard Dompok said there were several plantation companies and smallholders who managed to reap an average FFB harvest of above 30 tonnes per hectare,” he said at the opening of a one-day seminar on “Reach and Teach Friends of the Industry: Challenges and Opportunities in 2010″ here on Tuesday.
He said the government has funded a study to understand the characteristics of the palm oil genome as an enhancement measure towards producing better planting materials.
In addition, he said the government provided incentives, in the form of rebates to clonal laboratories, a RM200 million allocation to fell old trees and a RM100 million replanting grant for smallholders.
Besides, he said a majority of smallholders were producing below the national average.
” Currently 540,000 hectares of land is planted with oil palm and are managed by independent smallholders, who accounts for 11.6 per cent of the total planted area,” he explained.
He said the sector was important in increasing national productivity and reducing rural proverty.
More Recent Palm Oil News
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up On Bargain Hunting; Further Gains Likely Friday
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Down; Prices Could Be Bottoming -IOI Exec
- Crude Palm Oil Eases; Lack of Follow-Through Buying
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Tad Lower; Industry Data Awaited
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up; Exports Seen Rising in Coming Months
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up As Ringgit Eases; Limited Upside
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Down; Improving Soy, Palm Crop Prospects Weigh
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up; Likely Lower Stocks Underpin
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Higher; Exports Expected To Rise
- Crude Palm Oil 0.7% Higher On Technical-Buying, Exports
- Crude Palm Oil Ends up 0.8% on Bargain Hunting
- CPO Falls To 4-Month Low On Weak Demand
- Crude Palm Oil Ends up 1.5% on Bargain Hunting
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Flat; Subdued Physical Demand Cap
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Down; MYR2,300/Ton Support Tipped
PRO Palm Oil Live Market News
- Table of Malaysia May 1-20 Palm Oil Exports -Intertek
- *Malaysia May 1-20 Palm Oil Exports Down 9.4% on Month -Intertek
- *Malaysia May 1-20 Palm Oil Exports 799,405 Tons -Intertek
- Crude Palm Oil (CPO) Seen Up At Open; Export Data Awaited
- Southeast Asia Palm Oil Weather – May 19
- European veg oil PM, Soft Oil Prices – May 17
- European veg oil PM, Palm Oil & Lauric Oil Prices – May 17
- European veg oil AM, Soft Oil Prices – May 17
- European veg oil AM, Palm Oil & Lauric Oil Prices – May 17
- Rotterdam Soybean Prices – May 17
- CORRECT: Crude Palm Oil (CPO) Higher at Midday on Ramadan Demand
- CBOT Grain/Oilseeds Preliminary Volume/Open Interest – May 17
- Asian CPO Higher; Trade Slow, Export Data In Focus
- Indonesian Physical Palm Oil Prices May 17
- Malaysian PM Cash Market Prices for Palm Oil – May 17