Malaysia is working towards a national average crude palm oil fresh fruit bunch (FFB) output of 35 tonnes per hectare by 2020 from the current production of 20.2 tonnes per hectare.
Minister of Plantation Industries and Commodities Tan Sri Bernard Dompok said there were several plantation companies and smallholders who managed to reap an average FFB harvest of above 30 tonnes per hectare,” he said at the opening of a one-day seminar on “Reach and Teach Friends of the Industry: Challenges and Opportunities in 2010″ here on Tuesday.
He said the government has funded a study to understand the characteristics of the palm oil genome as an enhancement measure towards producing better planting materials.
In addition, he said the government provided incentives, in the form of rebates to clonal laboratories, a RM200 million allocation to fell old trees and a RM100 million replanting grant for smallholders.
Besides, he said a majority of smallholders were producing below the national average.
” Currently 540,000 hectares of land is planted with oil palm and are managed by independent smallholders, who accounts for 11.6 per cent of the total planted area,” he explained.
He said the sector was important in increasing national productivity and reducing rural proverty.
More Recent Palm Oil News
- Palm Oil Prices to Hit $3,000/ton by June, May Reach $3,500/ton on El Nino – Mistry
- Crude Palm Oil Ends up on Bargain-Hunting
- Crude Palm Oil Ends up on Weather Concerns
- Crude Palm Oil Falls With More Tipped Next Week
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up After Choppy Trade; May Rise More
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Down; Likely Higher Exports Limit Declines
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Off Highs; MYR2,440-MYR2,485/Ton Tipped Wed
- Crude Palm Oil Rises To 1-Week High On Export Demand
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Higher; May Test MYR2,500/Ton N/T
- Crude Palm Oil Rallies To 10-Week High On Tight Supplies
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Down; MYR2,370-MYR2,430/Ton Tipped Friday
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up; Stockpiles Seen Easing
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Higher; May Rise More
- Crude Palm Oil Higher; Further Gains Likely N/T
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up On Bargain Hunting; Further Gains Likely Friday
PRO Palm Oil Live Market News
- Southeast Asia Palm Oil Weather – Mar 10
- European veg oil PM, Palm Oil & Lauric Oil Prices – Mar 10
- European veg oil PM, Soft Oil Prices – Mar 10
- Malaysian PM Cash Market Prices for Palm Oil for March 10
- Table of Malaysia March 1-10 Palm Oil Exports – SGS
- *Malaysia March 1-10 Palm Oil Exports 297,064 Tons, SGS Says
- *Malaysia March 1-10 Palm Oil Exports Down 3.7% on Month, SGS Says
- China Dalian Commodity Exchange Grain Stocks, Mar 10
- China Dalian Grain Futures Closing Prices, Volume
- Malaysian AM Cash Market Prices for Palm Oil – March 10
- Malaysia February CPO Output Down 15% on Month, MPOB Says
- *Malaysia’s February Palm-Oil Exports 1.35 Million Tons; Down 1.25% on Month -MPOB
- *Malaysia’s End-February Palm-Oil Stocks 1.66 Million Tons; Down 14% on Month -MPOB
- *Malaysia February CPO Output 1.28 Million Tons; Down 15% on Month -MPOB
- Table of Malaysia March 1-10 Palm Oil Exports -Intertek