Kuala Lumpur, Sept 18 – Importers from China, the world’s largest vegetable oil buyer, have defaulted on at least 100,000 tonnes of RBD palm olein after prices fell nearly 15 percent this week, traders said on Thursday.
“Up to this point, about 100,000 tonnes of refined palm olein have been defaulted, and there could be much more up for renegotiation,” said a leading Singapore trader who mostly deals with China.
A Malaysian trader familiar with the deal said the number of defaults could snowball if prices of the vegetable oil fell past 2,000 ringgit.
Both traders said the vegetable oil shipments were headed for northern Chinese port city of Tianjin and Guangzhou port.
Malaysian crude palm oil futures shed 0.4 percent to 2,032 ringgit a tonne by 0329 GMT, weighed down by talk of palm oil cargoes getting defaulted or deferred.
News of the China defaults comes on the heels of Indian palm oil buyers trying to defer some shipments on Wednesday after a heavy sell-off in vegetable oil markets, while traders said Pakistan had yet to cover its needs for the fourth quarter.
In the last round of steep price falls in August, India and China cancelled or renegotiated around 800,000 tonnes of palm oil deals.
More Recent Palm Oil News
- Palm Oil Prices to Hit $3,000/ton by June, May Reach $3,500/ton on El Nino – Mistry
- Crude Palm Oil Ends up on Bargain-Hunting
- Crude Palm Oil Ends up on Weather Concerns
- Crude Palm Oil Falls With More Tipped Next Week
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up After Choppy Trade; May Rise More
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Down; Likely Higher Exports Limit Declines
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Off Highs; MYR2,440-MYR2,485/Ton Tipped Wed
- Crude Palm Oil Rises To 1-Week High On Export Demand
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Higher; May Test MYR2,500/Ton N/T
- Crude Palm Oil Rallies To 10-Week High On Tight Supplies
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Down; MYR2,370-MYR2,430/Ton Tipped Friday
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up; Stockpiles Seen Easing
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Higher; May Rise More
- Crude Palm Oil Higher; Further Gains Likely N/T
- Crude Palm Oil Ends Up On Bargain Hunting; Further Gains Likely Friday
PRO Palm Oil Live Market News
- Asian CPO Ends Lower; Demand Outlook, Weather Cap Losses — Market Talk
- Malaysian PM Cash Market Prices for Palm Oil – April 18
- China Dalian Commodity Exchange Grain Stocks, Apr 18
- China Dalian Grain Futures Closing Prices, Volume
- Malaysian AM Cash Market Prices for Palm Oil for April 18
- Crude Palm Oil (CPO) May Move in Range Amid Holidays — Market Talk
- Southeast Asia Palm Oil Weather – Apr 17
- European veg oil PM, Palm Oil & Lauric Oil Prices – Apr 17
- European veg oil PM, Soft Oil Prices – Apr 17
- European veg oil AM, Palm Oil & Lauric Oil Prices – Apr 17
- Rotterdam Soybean Prices – Apr 17
- European veg oil AM, Soft Oil Prices – Apr 17
- Asian CPO Ends Lower but Upside Likely Intact — Market Talk
- Malaysian PM Cash Market Prices for Palm Oil – April 17
- China Dalian Commodity Exchange Grain Stocks, Apr 17